As part of the 250th Shepherdstown Anniversary celebration, the Bee Line March Monument will be rededicated by the Pack Horse Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) on Sunday, Oct. 28, 2012, at 2 p.m. inside the main gates of Elmwood Cemetery. The public is cordially invited to the rededication and a reception following the program at the Shepherdstown Train Station. Refreshments will be served.
Parents are encouraged to bring children so the next generation will know of the historical significance of the Bee Line March.
In 1775, General George Washington issued a call for "Virginia Volunteer Riflemen." Captain Hugh Stephenson filled the ranks of his company from the Shepherdstown, Va. area. On July 16, 1775, Stephenson's troops departed from "Morgan's Spring," near today's Morgan's Grove Park. The men marched from Shepherdstown to Cambridge, covering 600 miles in just 24 days. The monument recognizes this amazing accomplishment.
The Bee Line Historical Monument was first dedicated on Oct. 28, 1932, and it has stood on Route 480 since that time. Due to safety and preservation issues, the monument is finding a new home at Elmwood Cemetery. Motorists will be able to safely stop to view and read the monument's inscription, and a new base will replace the original, deteriorating base.
Funds for the new base were contributed by the Corporation of Shepherdstown's 250 Committee and members of the Pack Horse Ford Chapter.
The Daughters of the American Revolution is a nonprofit, nonpolitical volunteer womens' service organization dedicated to preserving American history, securing America's future through better education, and promoting patriotism. To learn more about the work of today's DAR, visit www.DAR.org.