Shepherdstown Museum opening set
The Historic Shepherdstown Museum will open for the season on Saturday, April 18.
The Museum is located in the Entler Hotel at the corner of German and Princess Streets. The hours will be from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays. The Museum’s season runs from mid-April through October and for two weeks at Christmas.
The Museum, which is run by the Historic Shepherdstown Commission, tells the history of the Entler Hotel and Shepherdstown, using objects donated by many generous local patrons.
From impressive 18th and 19th century grandfather clocks made on German Street by the Craft family to the first book published in what is now West Virginia to a black velvet jacket worn by
Shepherdstown’s own Mary Entler, once arrested as a Confederate spy, the Museum has objects of interest to everyone. A replica of James Rumsey’s steamboat, built by the local Rumseian Society, can be seen in its own building in the Museum’s garden.
Although the admission is $4, one-half-off cards are readily available at the Visitors’ Center, local inns and hotels. Children and students are admitted free.
The two buildings housing the Shepherdstown Museum were built around the turn of the 19th century. The Globe Tavern was established in the basement of the museum building in about 1809. By 1830, this hotel, operated by Philip Entler, was the best in town.
The Entler (later Rumsey) Hotel operated until 1921, when it became the property of Shepherd College. Used for multiple purposes, the building deteriorated so much that the College planned demolition. At that point, concerned citizens of Shepherdstown joined together to save the building and restore it. After a huge community-wide effort, the re-named Entler Hotel was restored. The Museum opened in 1983.
For more information, contact Cindy Schott, Historic Shepherdstown’s Administrator at (304) 876-0910.