Music museum visit set
The West Virginia Music Hall of Fame’s Traveling Museum, a collaboration with the West Virginia Department of Education, will be visiting schools in Jefferson, Hardy, Hampshire, Morgan, Mineral and Grant counties (See Page 24 for schedule).
The exhibit is housed in a striking, 28-foot, handicapped accessible trailer. Once inside, students experience the rich variety of West Virginia music through memorabilia, historical photographs and documents. Two listening stations filled with the music of many of the featured artists bring the displays to life.
The exhibits showcase the variety of music that has come from the Mountain State, from opera and jazz to gospel, traditional, country, bluegrass, blues and rock ‘n’ roll. Some of the display items include:
* Senator Robert C. Byrd’s prized fiddle
* stage clothes from Little Jimmy Dickens, Kathy Mattea and Ann Baker
* Red Sovine’s Gibson J200 guitar
* scores from Pulitzer Prize-winning composer George Crumb
* A banjo made by Clay County’s Genes Cottrell with a tone ring fashioned from a pressure cooker
* Various LPs, 78s, 45s, Edison cylinders and piano rolls
One of the features of the Traveling Museum is an interactive, county-by-county map that allows students to “touch” on a county – and access a bio, photo and sound clip from notable musicians in each county,
The Traveling Museum’s is also includes a unique “make your own CD” studio. Students will be auditioned beforehand by their teachers. Two or three students from each class will be selected to record a song (preferably an original tune) in the studio. and leave with a CD.
* Sept. 1. Hampshire County. Capon Bridge Elementary and Capon Bridge Middle
* Sept. 2. Jefferson County. Shepherdstown Middle and Shepherdstown Elementary.
* Sept. 3. Berkeley County. Mountain Ridge Intermediate Eagle Intermediate
* Sept. 4. Morgan County. Pawpaw
* Sept. 8. Mineral County. Keyser Primary
* Sept. 9. Grant County. Petersburg Elementary and Dorcas Elementary
* Sept. 10. Hardy County. East Hardy Early and Middle and Moorefield Intermediate