Trinity fetes 150th
Trinity church at the Corner of Church and German streets was consecrated 150 years ago.
In April 1854 the Trustees of Trinity purchased two lots on German Street in order to construct the church and move the congregation from their original location at the Corner of High and Church Streets.
By August that year construction was under way. Construction was completed in 1859 and on April 5, 1859, Bishop Johns of the Diocese of Virginia consecrated the church.
It had been built at a cost of $10,000. Receipts have been found that show that 975 feet of seasoned walnut were purchased for the construction at a cost of $23.93.
In his report following the service Bishop Johns wrote “This building is a striking structure of solid limestone; roof and steeple slated; the interior well arranged and handsomely frescoed; and through the energy and care of the Rector (The Rev. Dr. Charles Andrews) finished without encumbrance or debt.”
And 150 years is a cause to rejoice, say church members. On Sunday, Sept. 27, there will be a 10 a.m. celebratory service at Trinity Episcopal Church at the corner of Church and German streets. The 1789 Prayer Book which would have been in use at that time will be used for the order of worship and the original Communion silver will be used for the Eucharist. The sermon will be a reminder of the history of Trinity Church.
Special commemorative plates and Christmas ornaments, hand painted by church member Jerry Smith, have been commissioned and an updated history of the Church has been compiled by Vestry member Mark Hollis. The plates are $15 each, the ornaments are $10 each and both may be purchased at the Church office. Everyone is invited. Call the Church office at (304) 876-6990 for more information.