History Series continues
Between September 2009 and May 2010, the Jefferson County Historical Society and the Men’s Club of Shepherdstown are hosting a series of presentations by local experts on aspects of Jefferson County History.
Talks begin at 7 p.m. at War Memorial Building, 102 N. German Street, Shepherdstown, preceded at 6 p.m. by a social hour at the same location for members of the Society and the Men’s Club.
Watch for monthly reminders and abstracts about each of the following presentations as well:
– October 12 – Dennis Frye: A comparison of the events celebrating the 50th and 150th Anniversary of the John Brown Raid.
– November 9 – Bill Theriault: Development of a web-based historical data base of Jefferson County Land Records.
– December 8 – Doug Perks: All Quiet Along the Potomac-The Impacts of the War Between the States on Jefferson County.
– January 11 – Keith Alexander: 18th century waterfront commerce near Shepherdstown
– February 8 – Jim Taylor: Black History of Jefferson County
– March 8 – Walter Washington and Betsy Wells: The Washington Family in Jefferson County
– April 12 – Doug Estep: The Mine Wars’ impacts on Jefferson County
– May 10 – To be announced
For more information about the Men’s Club and the Historical Society, please visit their respective web sites at http://www.smc25443.org/ and www.jeffersonhistoricalwv.org.