homepage logo

F.C. Assault falls to 1-2

By Staff | Apr 30, 2010

Already down 3-0, Shepherdstown F.C. Assault Assistant Coach Labrell Guy issues last minute strategic adjustments as time winds down at the half. Assault dropped the Sunday match against MDSL powerhouse DMV United 4-0. Assault falls to 1-2 on the season.

MARTINSBURG – Shepherdstown F.C. Assault dropped a 4-0 decision to Mason-Dixon Soccer League powerhouse DMV United last Sunday. Assault drops to 1-2 on the season as they head into next weekends away game against Frederick International.

The game was lopsided on Shepherdstown’s defensive end, with United’s consistently threading upfield passes through the Assault’s defensive backfield for scoring chances.

United’s first goal of the game came in the 22nd minute, as Alex Cruz scored

from the top of the defensive box with a quick shot into the nearside high corner off an assist from Donald Fawn.

United tallied again in the 35th and 38th minute to make the score 3-0 heading into the half. Both times Shepherdstown’s defense struggled to contain a fast breaking aggressive United offense which was able to take advantage of unsettled situations in transition to get scoring chances.

Later, in the second half, the Shepherdstown side was infuriated by the officiating crew after Assault midfielder Nicky Beneviti left the game with an injured ankle after sustaining an aggressive slid tackle from one of United’s defenders near midfield.

“Injuries are a problem with this team” said Assault bench coach Labrell Guy after the game. Prior to the game, Shepherdstown had five players on the injured list, including player-coach Mike Rankin, midfield.

United tallied the final goal of the game in the 79th minute to go up 4-0 on the match. Shepherdstown Goalie Tom Stevenson recorded five saves.

United stays undefeated in this year’s MDSL action. Assault drops to 1-2 on the season.

Assault plays again Sunday, May 2, at Old National Pike Park in Frederick, Md., at 10:45 a.m.