Phi Sigma Chi alum host picnic
The Phi Sigma Chi Sorority Alumni of Shepherd College, now university, held their annual picnic July 19 at the home of Gwen Light Sigler. There were 21 members present.
While in college, the Phi Sigma Chi sorority met in the “Yellow House” on High Street on the college campus. This historical home was known as the home of Entler-Weltzheimer, which was built about 1790.
Elizabeth Snyder Lowe, president, reported on the recent grant of $34,419 from the West Virginia Division of Culture and History to be used to restore and renovate the house.
The matching funds will be used to replace the roof, repair the foundation and remove the modern dormer over the front door. Keith Alexander, director of the project, has a vision for the house to be used as a living laboratory for historic preservation students as well as give tours of the residence.