Shepherd honors Dunlop, Printz
Former Shepherd University President David L. Dunlop and the late Charles F. Printz, professor emeritus of business administration, were honored on Thursday, May 24 at 2:30 p.m. when Birch and Maple Halls on Shepherd’s West Campus was renamed in their honor.
Participating in the dedication ceremony will be Shepherd President Suzanne Shipley; Gat Caperton, chair of the Shepherd University Board of Governors; John Sherwood, former chair of the Board of Governors; Ramon A. Alvarez, president of the Shepherd University Foundation; and Charles F. “Chazz” Printz, son of Professor Emeritus Printz.
David L. Dunlop served as the 14th president of Shepherd University from 1996 to 2007. During his administration, he oversaw more than $100 million in new campus construction projects, including the Robert C. Byrd Science and Technology Center, Frank Center addition, Erma Ora Byrd Hall, Reynolds and McMurran Halls renovation, a tripling of the Scarborough Library to include the Robert C. Byrd Center for Legislative Studies, Phase I of the Center for Contemporary Arts, Wellness Center, Ikenberry Hall addition, total interior renovation of two residence halls, expansion of Ram Stadium to include the Kenneth J. Boone Field House and two apartment-style residence halls, one of which will be named in his honor.
Dunlop led the institution as it gained university status, separated from its community and technical college, and initiated graduate programs. Seven new degrees, six new majors/minors, and 19 new concentrations were introduced during the Dunlop presidency, and enrollment increased by 35 percent.
Charles F. “Charlie” Printz, Shepherd class of 1940, was a professor and chair of the Division of Business Administration from 1947 to 1981. He was instrumental in the development of Shepherd’s business program and was responsible for the establishment of Shepherd’s chapter of Delta Sigma Pi, the professional business fraternity. He also served as director of alumni affairs and remained active with Shepherd alumni after his retirement.
Printz was one of the original directors of the Shepherd University Foundation and was invited by the founding members of Shepherd’s Scarborough Society to be on the first elected board of directors in 2002. He became the treasurer of the Scarborough Society in 2005 and continued to serve in that capacity until his death in September 2011.
The apartment-style residence halls on West Campus opened for students in fall 2006. The $13.7 million project was designed by Little Diversified Architectural Consulting in Arlington, Va. The construction firm was Palmer Construction Company, Inc., McConnellsburg, Pa.