homepage logo

Gas leak forces day care evacuation

By Staff | Sep 29, 2014

Area fire, EMS and police investigated a gas leak at Shepherdstown Day Care Center on Tuesday morning.

According to Tim Seibel of the Shepherdstown Fire Department, the call for a gas leak/indoor odor investigation was dispatched at 9:06 a.m.

Fire departments from Shepherdstown, Bakerton, Baker Heights and Sharpsburg, Maryland, responded to the incident.

The building, located at 531 E. German St., was evacuated by the time first responders arrived, Seibel said.

Upon arrival, two crews were sent into the building to locate the source of the odor. A gas leak near the stove in the kitchen on the first floor was the source.

Seibel said crews were able to shut off the gas and secure the scene.

No children or staff were harmed, and daycare staff would contact maintenance, he said.

Later Tuesday, at about 3:15 p.m., emergency crews responded to a call for a propane leak inside a building at the Charles Towers apartment complex.

According to Capt. Adam Watson of Independent Fire Company, emergency personnel spoke with the building maintenance staff upon arrival, who told them there was no evidence of a gas leak.

Charles Towers tests its generator once a week, and occupants with open windows smelled diesel fumes from the generator and mistook the scent for a gas leak, Watson said.

Watson said the building was not evacuated since the building’s smoke alarms did not go off. Crews checked each floor to ensure the generator was the only source of the odor, Watson said.