Museum opening features Shepherdstown Red Sox
At the April 2 season opening, the Historic Shepherdstown Museum will unveil a new exhibit featuring the history of Shepherdstown’s African American baseball team, the Red Sox, and the related gospel choirs, the Troubadours and the Sons of Harmony. The museum will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., but the community is particularly invited to join in celebrating the 2016 season and the new exhibit at an open house from 1 to 3 p.m. that day. The museum is located at 129 East German Street.
The Shepherdstown Red Sox played baseball in Shepherdstown and the surrounding area on and off from the 1930’s into the 1980’s. In the early days, many team members sang with a gospel choir called the Troubadours. Later, members sang with the Brothers of Harmony. Generous members of the local community have provided oral histories telling the stories of the team and of the choirs and of the 20th century African American community in Shepherdstown. They have also loaned the museum artifacts that will be on display.
Shepherd University’s Dr. Keith Alexander conducted the oral histories with support from the university’s Lisa and Paul Welch Fund.
In addition to the new exhibit, the Shepherdstown Museum tells the story of the town, starting with local prehistoric tools, going through the settling of the area by Europeans, the Revolution, the Civil War and into the 20th century. Among many other artifacts, the museum features the crafts of the prosperous and talented makers of clocks, guns, furniture, pots, kettles and more.
The museum will be open for visitors from April through October, as well as during Christmas in Shepherdstown. Public hours are Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. Tours can be arranged at other times by calling the office.
For additional information or to schedule a visit outside of normal hours, call or e-mail Historic Shepherdstown’s administrator at 304-876-0910 or email@example.com on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Fridays.