Man who died on Shepherd Univesity worksite identified
Though the name of the Falling Waters construction worker, who died of electrocution at a worksite on the campus of Shepherd University last week has been released, few details have emerged.
On July 5, a construction worker, identified as Bryan W. Cale, 41, of Falling Waters, was fatally electrocuted at the site of the construction of a new $22 million student residence hall on the west side of the university campus. Cale was working for Ellsworth Electric Inc., a Hagerstown-based company. Ellsworth Electric is a subcontractor to the project’s general contractor, Harkins Builders, Inc.
Shepherd University officials and representatives of Ellsworth Electric and Harkins Builders said Cale’s next of kin had been notified the day of the incident.
Representatives from the OSHA office in Charleston went to the construction site for an initial investigation July 6.
“We opened the investigation last week and did some initial work at the site,” said Connie Brown, assistant area director of the OSHA office in Charleston in a telephone interview Tuesday. “We’re still in that process of gathering facts and conducting interviews.”
Brown said OSHA investigations of incidents at worksites can take up to six months to complete. She said such matters are taken very seriously, which can account for some of the time it takes to do the investigation.
“We speak to anybody and everybody we feel we may need to about this kind of thing. These investigations are looked at very thoroughly,” she said.
Last week, Prentice Cline, director of the OSHA office in Charleston, said the jobsite will not be shut down during the investigation.