homepage logo

Local artist transported to Berkeley Medical Center after explosion

By Staff | Nov 4, 2016

A propane explosion sent a local artist to hospital Sunday after the torch he was working with exploded.

According to the Marshall D. DeMeritt, EMS chief for the Shepherdstown Volunteer Fire Department, the explosion happened when the man tried to light the torch inside the garage of his Willowdale subdivision home Sunday evening just before 6 p.m.

“He was using a torch of some sort while creating some artistry and we were told as he went to light the torch, the explosion happened,” DeMeritt said.

DeMeritt said the man was working with a small propane gas tank similar to one found on a grill.

Willowdale subdivision is off Shepherd Grade Road just north of Shepherdstown.

The man was transported to Berkeley Medical Center in Martinsburg in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries, most of which were burns, DeMeritt said.

In the explosion, the man’s garage door was blown out and a back door was damaged. DeMeritt said there were other family members in the house at the time, but no one else was injured.

According to DeMeritt, no one will be allowed back inside the home until it is inspected by an engineer. He said the American Red Cross responded to the home to help the family with other living arrangements.