homepage logo

Be on the alert for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

By Staff | Dec 2, 2016

Cold weather has struck West Virginia this week, and so have carbon monoxide poisonings. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can be produced when fuels do not burn completely. Carbon monoxide can sicken or kill those exposed to high concentrations.

If anyone living in the home (including pets) experiences sleepiness, dizziness, headaches, confusion or weakness, immediately seek fresh air and call the West Virginia Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.

If anyone is unconscious or having convulsions (seizures), call 911.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, whether one is at home or at your hunting cabin, the West Virginia Poison Center offers these tips:

Have gas appliances checked annually by a professional.

Keep all chimneys and flues free of debris.

Avoid the use of kerosene heaters indoors or in enclosed areas such as tents.

Carefully follow the manufacturer’s safety and placement instructions for generator use.

Use battery-operated (or battery-backup) carbon monoxide alarms. Be sure to test the batteries regularly.

The West Virginia Poison Center provides comprehensive emergency poison information, prevention and educational resources to West Virginians 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

The WVPC is staffed by nurses, pharmacists and physicians with special training in treatment of poisonings. Located in Charleston, the WVPC is a part of the West Virginia University-Charleston Division.