Dr. Frank Herbert Fischer
Dr. Frank Herbert Fischer, O.D., a longtime resident of Martinsburg, passed away Sunday, March 15, 2015. He was a resident of Reeder’s Memorial Home and was 90 years old.
Frank was the son of Virginia M. Fischer Israel and Frank H. Fischer, and brother of Florence L. Fischer Pederson, who preceded him in death, as did his former wife, Dr. Vera Gallagher Fischer.
He is survived by his loving and devoted wife, Joan M. Fischer, a resident at Autumn Assisted Living in Hagerstown; a son, Frank “F.C.” Fischer of Martinsburg; and a niece, Debra L. Petrus of Chardon, Ohio. He is also survived by three cousins, George H. Mason of Shepherdstown, Frank Simons of Charles Town, and Ruben Gray of Casa Grande, Arizona.
Dr. Fischer practiced Optometry in Martinsburg and Berkeley Springs from 1950 to 1986. He served as President and Vice President of the West Virginia Jr. Chamber of Commerce (JAYCEE’s) from 1957 to 1959, served as Chairman of West Virginia’s John F. Kennedy for President Campaign from 1959 to 1960, and Chairman of Hulett C. Smith for Governor Campaign in 1964. He served on the Advisory Boards of both the WV Economic Development Agency and WV Department of Commerce. Dr. Fischer also served several years as President of the WV Optometric Association.
Locally, he served as Chairman of the Salvation Army Advisory Board, and President of the Izaak Walton League. He was also a Member Emeritus of the Board of Directors, Citizens National Bank/One Valley Bank.
One of Berkeley County’s true veterans, he served in the United States Navy’s “Seabees” during World War II, from 1943 to 1946, seeing action at the Battle of Okinawa.
Upon retiring from his Optometric Practice, Frank followed his dream of “Building Something” and purchased 110 acres situated east of Inwood. What resulted was the first planned community in south Berkeley County known as “Inwood East.” The project was awarded the Sub-Division of the Year by the Eastern Panhandle Homebuilder’s Association, and was the site of over 75 homes, the Inwood East Plaza (Inwood’s first shopping center) and the original home of Saint Leo’s Catholic Church and the site of the first Public Library in Inwood. Dr. Fischer also assisted Saint Leo’s church in acquiring their current location on Sulphur Springs Road.
On his many accomplishments, Dr. Fischer used to love telling of his and Joan’s extensive world travels, including Austria, Belgium, China, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Ireland, Russia, Scotland, South America, Switzerland, and Wales. They also visited all 50 U.S. Capitals and collected a state seal from each one.
Services and interment will be private.
Arrangements by Brown Funeral Home.
Online condolences may be offered at www.BrownFuneralHomesWV.com.