Attend public hearing on campsites
A public hearing is to be held by the Jefferson County Commission on Jan. 21, 2016 at 7 p.m. in the meeting room in the Charles Town Library basement on proposed campground amendments to the County Zoning and Land Development Ordinance.
Highlights of the proposed campground amendments are:
1. Allows campgrounds, a commercial enterprise, in certain commercial zones but also in the Rural Zone.
2. Must be located on properties of at least 10 acres-no maximum size limit.
3. Allows no more than 15 campsites per acre.
4. Allows grouping or clustering of campsites.
5. Has a campsite minimum size of 1,200 sq. feet but-no maximum size limit.
6. No limits on the number of persons per campsite.
7. Allows tents, shelter, outhouses, port-a-pots and with permission, large Rvs (buses), popup trailers, pavilions, recreational areas, and etc.
8. Campsites and amenities maybe located 20 feet from your property line.
9. Provides minimal screening buffer.
10. Does not require fencing.
11. Provides no protection from noise or light glare.
12. Campgrounds can operate all year.
13. Campgrounds are allowed in the flood plain.
Therefore if you live next to a parcel of 10 acres, the owner may place 150 campsites, with 8 people per campsite, port-a-pots/outhouses and/or shelters/pavilions within 20 feet of your property line. Will this increase the value of your property? Will this improve your enjoyment of your property?
This public hearing is your only opportunity to register objections to these proposed amendments.